Monday, October 21, 2013

Pukarani, Arica, Chile, Cambio Week

Hello. Cambio week. I'm staying here again in Pukarani with my same comp, Elder Cardozo. Whatever the Lord wants I will do. 1 Nephi 3:7

There were a lot of changes in our ward this past week. We have been meeting with the Stake President and our Zone Leaders and the Stake was very concerned about our ward and was thinking about bringing it down to a branch... Which would be very sad. But in the end they made the right choice and he changed the ward  boundaries so Pukarani gained about 55 active members from neighboring wards and called a new Bishop. Pukarani went from being the lowest assisting church in the Stake to the highest!!!!! The ward got blessed tremendously and with the new boundaries us missionaries have a lot more families and houses to teach and visit. So I am super super excited to stay here in the same ward for my 3rd cambio (transfer) to work with the new members. Lots of work ahead of us. 

Kinda a cool story. We visited a family this week Natali and Bella. Natali is about 20 years old and Bella like 60. Natali recently had a baby but she was in the hospital for about 2 months cause the baby wanted to come out early. So she was in risk of losing the baby and losing her life. Both passing away or both living. The ward and family were very concerned about her. My first day in this sector, about 3 months ago, we visited the family and back then Natali was fine with no problems with the baby. We shared a scripture, bore our testimonies and didn't think much about the visit. When we heard she was in the hospital Elder Rogers and I thought it would be a good idea to visit her. Not thinking too much of it, visited her in the hospital, raised her spirit a little, talked with her, laughed with her then left once again not thinking the visit meant much. 
The other day we visited her. Her and the baby are healthy and happy and she is happy to be back home. BUT she shared some of her feelings with me. She started crying when telling this story of the first time Elder Rogers and I visited her and how she can remember every single word and feeling she felt when I bore my testimony... My simple testimony... and also when Elder Rogers and I walked through her hospital door without telling her we were coming. She recalled as if it were 2 Angels coming to visit her and how amazingly happy she felt with the small 30 minute visit from us missionaries. The smile she had when we walked through the door was something I will never forget. And her hospital roommates commenting to her of how they felt as we were talking and laughing with Natali. Of the spirit her and even the other roommates felt.... What an amazing testimony builder the other day was for me and how I felt the spirit so strong while she was crying to us telling me of these experiences of our visits... Things that missionaries do on a DAILY basis. Not thinking anything of the visits or my testimony REALLY has an effect on people.... People actually listen and remember the things I say... I'm telling you. There is NOTHING like the mission to hear these stories from REAL people who have REAL problems and how I'm actually helping people.... I needed and loved these experiences Natali told us. New perspective on the mission ... People actually care and listen to me:) Just wanted to share that cool experience with you guys. 

Chile qualified for the World Cup in 2014. People went crazy here. Viva Chile. I take lots of pictures... I love taking Pictures I hope I'm not over doing on sending pictures home and taking pictures hahaha, I love pictures:) On Saturday we went to the Feria, Its like this GINORMOUS Garage sale with people putting up tents in a 5 mile Radius that people make their living off of selling random crap. You can find ANYTHING you need in the Feria. and They happen every Saturday. The Stake bought a spot in the Feria this past week and us missionaries ran it and basically did contacts from all the 1 billion people walking by our booth, (The picture I sent you guys). We talked to the People about emergency preparedness and how we can help. Then asked if we could pass by their house and teach them a little more about being prepared and also about our beliefs. It was a huge success we got tooooons of references and was sooo much fun to talk to all those people in the Feria. hahah I had a blast doing it. I love missionary work and talking to random people about what they need to do if a giant tsunami comes tomorrow hahaha. Chile.... hahah. We have a Noche De Hogar (family home evening) every 2 weeks and this past Wednesday's Noche De Hogar was a bigger success than the last. 61 people showed up and about 8 non members. The ward is helping us a ton finding new people. I love it! Hopefully more and more people come every week. We need the help to find. 

Hmmm. Ya pretty busy week with visiting all the new families in our ward and sector (area). We have lots of work ahead of us. Another Cambio here will be interesting and I'm excited to see more success in the Lord's work. I love you all so much and am so happy to hear from all of you. Elder Sargent is staying here another Cambio. YAY. I still get to see my best friend every now and again. That makes me happy. I miss my other best friends Tyler, Trevor, Tanner W., and Chase, and all my other family:) Oh I've gone to the more professional look and I'm wearing glasses without prescription.... I look better and more Professional, so I can get into more houses;) Smart thinker huh. 

Con Amor, Elder Paxman












No comments: